How to increase the child's communication intent
How to increase the child’s communication intend
“My child is pointing what she/he needs”
“My child using very limited vocabulary”
“Unable to initiate or sustain conversation with others”
“Unable to grasp pragmatics of communication"
These are the most of the concern from the parents, who have children with communication disorder.
As a Speech Language Pathologist I am going to share my clinical experience, on “how to increase the child’s communication intent”.
Dear parents, First we have to increase the child’s requesting skills, demanding, or asking something. Yes which is one of the most important factors for communication. “How to increase and why? “ We can increasing the requesting skills from express the child’s hungry, needs, report of lost and asking something.
Eg: “ I want water” , “I want apple” , I want bat” , I want to sleep” , I want to go to park”.
If the child couldn’t express in sentence level just simplify the process. Like for I want water “ if the child said “wa wa” or the child can show gesture or signs, or the child can exchange the picture of water.Once the child request in any one of this way like speaking a word or sounds, gesturing or signs, exchanging the picture, immediately reinforce the child by providing the child’s need.
Because giving feedback is most enhancing factor for communication. While providing the reinforcement, it’s the way to deliver our feedback to the child.
Eg: The child needs Biscuits, but the child is telling “bi bi” you have to give the biscuit to the child’s hand, before that make sure you have to get the child’s attention and then give the biscuit.
To get the child’s attention you can say loudly “Biscuit” or you can hold the biscuit and keep it near to the eye level, once you can say “biscuit” and then you can give it to the child. If we increase these requesting skills by providing the reinforcement, the child can be able to express his/her instrumental needs.
So that 50% of communication difficulties will get reduce. While doing this the child is getting the focused input from the communication partner.
Once the child strong in requesting, by getting the reinforcement as a feedback in any one of the way, child communication intend will get increase automatically. Verbal expression is not only a communication skill.
Expression of words or sounds, or gesturing or signs or exchanging the pictures itself all are comes under communication.
To improve he child’s communication intend we can follow this technique. This called Manding technique.
Most valuable ideas
ReplyDeleteThank you
DeleteSuper
ReplyDeleteThank you
DeleteValuable information
DeleteGood try
ReplyDeleteThank you
DeleteAmazing ma'am!!😊
ReplyDeleteThank you
DeleteGreat .. it reduces behavioral problems when communication occurs.
ReplyDeleteYes exactly
Delete👍🏼👍🏼
ReplyDelete